I found the following recipe online a while back and decided to try it. You can find it in its original form here.
It was not as easy as I thought it would be to find wheat bran. Apparently they do not carry it at Walmart, which is where we do a lot of our shopping. We finally found some at Smith's, in the cereal aisle. I found it in a display with other "Bob's Mill" special mixes and cereals (which is where I was looking at Walmart, but to no avail). It is helpful to know that it looks like sawdust :o)
1 1/2 c wheat bran
1 c buttermilk (or 1 c milk plus 1 Tbsp lemon juice or 1 3/4 Tbsp cream of tartar)
1/3 c vegetable oil
2/3 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c raisins (the next time I make these, I think I may try adding Craisins for a twist)
- Preheat oven to 375°F and prepare muffin tin by placing liners or greasing cups.
- Mix wheat bran and buttermilk (or substitution) and let stand 10 minutes.
- Mix wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients in a third bowl. Then, combine everything and add raisins.
- Pour into muffin tin, filling cups about 2/3 full. You should be able to fit all of the batter into 12 regular-sized muffin tin wells.
- Bake 15-20 minutes.