We received some sausage gravy mixes for Christmas last year, and decided to try them out. What better way than with biscuits? This is a recipe I found online recently here that turned out pretty well for us.
2 c flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp shortening (or just 4 Tbsp of one or the other)
1 c buttermilk, chilled (or 1 c milk with 1 Tbsp lemon juice)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add cool butter and shortening. Mix in with a fork or with your fingers (taking care not to melt the fats) until it reaches a consistency like peas or looks like crumbs.
- Add buttermilk. Mix. It will be VERY sticky.
- Pour out onto a well-floured surface and cover dough with flour. Knead around, folding dough in on itself a few times.
- Spread out until about 1" thick. Cut circles from dough. I used a 3" cup to do so.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. Biscuits will turn a golden brown color and should rise a bit.